newsletter

Monday, May 2, 2011

Are You From Heaven?

I got a nice big stack of sheet music the other week (that I absolutely can't wait to use) and I thought it would be interesting to do some detective work on some of the pieces and their composers.
This is one of my favorite pieces of art to come out of this new pile:

The song is "Are you from Heaven?" by L. Wolfe Gilbert and Anatol Friendland in 1917. Thanks to some serious sleuthing (ok Google, IMDB, and Wikipedia) I unearthed some information on Gilbert and Friendland.

Louis Wolfe Gilbert was born in Odessa (in what was then the Russian Empire) in 1886. He came to America when he was a young man and became a popular songwriter. In fact, he wrote the theme song to the hit TV show Hopalong Cassidy! His other hits included such gems as By Heck and Waiting for The Robert E. Lee (I'm definitely going to be keeping my eyes out for these from now on). Gilbert also wrote the first motion picture theme song, Ramona. He died at the age of 83 in 1970.

Anatol Friedland was also born in the Russian Empire in St. Petersburg in 1881. He was kind of awesome. Friedland was a vaudeville pianist and owned his own nightclub. He died in 1938 at the age of 57. He and Gilbert collaborated on many songs, and actually one of his most popular songs was one called "My Little Dream Girl". I recognized that name right away because I have used the illustration from it on a project before!

A tray I made with the cover of "My Little Dream Girl". Available in my Etsy shop

Gilbert and Friedland had their own publishing company, appropriately named Gilbert and Friedland Music Publishers. The cover for "Are you from Heaven?" touts the men as "Songland's favorite composers", Songland being the name of a production label I believe. I've seen that name on a lot of pieces in my collection. Here's an ornament made with elements from a Songland advertisement:

Ornament with vintage sheet music advertising available in my Etsy shop

I love it when patterns appear and names become familiar within all the thousands of copies of old sheet music floating around out there.
And, just for kicks, here are the lyrics to "Are you from Heaven" (the music to which I desperately tried to find on YouTube but to no avail). If I can find a microphone I'll record myself playing it on violin so you can hear the melody...

I hold your little photography Because you are not here;
I sit and wonder 'bout you, little dear!
You're just as near perfection as most anyone could be,
My dream girl, Won't you tell me:

Are you from Heaven? My glad heart sings, Are you an angel?
Where are your wings? Who were you sent for? Who were you meant for?
I'll tell you, I'll tell you, For me a-lone! Your smile is sunshine,
Your tears are dew, Your eyes are starlight, So pure and true.
Your godly splendor, Your soul so tender, Are you from Heave? Please tell me, do!

They must have sent you down to hear To light my weary way, To
make my darkest hour bright as day. My life was just an empty dream till
you came here below. My dream girl, I want to know...

Oh my gosh, ROMANTIC!!
So, now I just need to decide how I'm going to use this music. Keep the entire cover in tact? Cut out the beautiful lady and use her in something? What do you think?

4 comments:

Katrina said...

What a sweet story! I love how this one little piece of music history tied so many of your shop items together - what a fantastic find.

I don't know what I would do with the music - the cover is beautiful just the way it is though if you decide to go that route. Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

zdrop said...

Such an interesting story of music history connected to your art!!! i love the cover the way it is however i think you would prefer to use the lady as the main element of sth new! :) Hope i helped!

LaurieH said...

I find myself in awe of people who can find amazing raw ingredients in the darndest of places. Tess is one of those folks. Page through her blog and meet a genius. I merely make handcrafted jewelry. She finds vintage this, and mixes it with vintage that, and makes something new that will be an instant collectable. She is from Heaven~!

http://haydenbrook.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/haydenbrook

Waterrose said...

What wonderful finds. I love looking through all of the sheet music pieces from the past. I love the artwork and colors. Too bad I don't play a piano, I'm sure there are some great finds.