And I think we lucked out majorly, because the weather Thursday and Friday was gorgeous, and it's been raining all Saturday and Sunday!
First stop: The North Shore. We love the quaint New England shore towns like Glouster and Essex, so we drove up that way on the hunt for three things: sea glass, old cemeteries, and antiques.

We went to a beach in Glouster to do some sea glass hunting. It was pretty quiet and we found some sea glass, but not a whole lot. Of course I forgot to bring a sweatshirt and had to commandeer Mike's, so we didn't stay for too long.
After that we zipped over to one of my favorite antique stores, the White Elephant in Essex. I got some great new sheet music for future projects there, score!
Right behind the White Elephant is a very old cemetery dating back to the 1600's.

We've tried to go there before but were driven out by mosquitoes. But today it was bright and sunny and perfect! There are some really amazing old graves there.
By this time we were pretty ravenous. The North Shore has tons of wonderful restaurants, but the majority of them around Essex are seafood...not particularly good for veggies! As we were driving around aimlessly with increasingly growling stomachs we passed the sign for a family farm we've been to in the past.
"RUSSEL ORCHARDS! TURN THE CAR AROUND!" I screamed as Mike slammed the breaks and pulled a U-ie. You see, Russel Orchards is a magical place where they produce sunshine and happiness. Well, almost. They have a giant old barn that is an open store with all sorts of handmade goodness. Warm cider donuts, fresh cider, homemade salsa and spreads, CANDY, soap...you name it. They are also home to some of the world's cutest animals.
We bought some donuts, cider, roasted red pepper salsa and crackers and had the most satisfying impromptu picnic right there. Then we walked around and I touched too many stinky animals.

On Friday we went down to the South Shore and continued to have even more amazing adventures, but I think I will bore you with those another time.
I did, however, want to give a quick update on the progress of our little deck garden, now a week later.
Everything is growing really well so far! The morning glory seeds have already started to sprout, and the topsy-turvy tomato plant has it's first buds. My flowers are growing like weeds (especially the lavender) and will probably need even bigger pots at some point. It's really fun to watch everything's progress everyday!

9 comments:
Looks like a fun trip! I love visiting old cemetaries.
russell orchards sounds like my dream, wish we had something like that here! (maybe we do, and i just haven't discovered it yet?)exploring locally is one of my favorite things to do too. oh, and your garden looks lovely!
cara
Cute little garden! :) I get so excited when my plants actually start to grow each year. It seems like magic. :)
As I live in MA, too, I think I may need to steal your itinerary and go exploring this new place! (I just moved to MA last summer). I absolutely love going to old cemeteries - the older the better. The beach looks like fun, too! :)
I love your adventure--I think quiet beaches are the best, and that one looked lovely! :) (and those animals are precious)
Thanks so much for stopping by guys!
OfTheFountain, how are you liking it so far?
Looks like a fun trip! My husband and I have promised to make a few more local daytrips this year too - bonus if it's a gorgeous sunny day like what you had.
Congrats on the gardening success! We inherited a topsy turvy plant but haven't used it yet but I hope it works because I love having fresh summer tomatoes :)
Oh, yay! Sorry I am just seeing this now - sooo cool that you went exploring! I love old cemeteries, and I always wonder if that's weird of me, but I see you explored one too! :D
Tess, you live in a beautiful place, looks fantastic, I wish I could join you with my camera as well, hehe :) Looove your deck garden, they all look so happy, just today I was busy planting on my balcony lavender, how cool this coincidence is? My Best Wishes to your plants from my tiny garden :)
Post a Comment