**I
wrote this about a month ago now, when I was feeling very raw and vulnerable
about my work. Some of it may seem
immature or hasty, but it’s all honest, and I don’t want to edit what I felt at
the time. I’ve since come to terms with
it a little better and am trying not to focus on what is not worth focusing
on!**
The
other day I found out that someone had stolen my entire business. She had taken my ideas, designs,
descriptions, and even my story about what sheet music means to me and used
them as her own. My shop’s tagline is
“Romantic Sheet Music Jewelry”. Her’s
was “Beautiful Sheet Music Jewelry”. I
use little ♫’s bullet points in my listings.
So does she, with the same exact information following them. I write about the sheet music I use and what
it means to me to work with such a unique part of the past. She writes the same thing with a slightly
different word order. There was no doubt
about it, she had studied my shop, and taken everything she needed and
transplanted it into hers and passed it off as her own. As if this was not enough, she was in my
shop, looking at who favorited my items, and was reaching out to them to bring
them into her shop. She set up an
identical business, and was luring my customers away to hers. Really, really low.
When I
first saw one of “her” listings with all my words staring back at me, my heart
sank so hard and so fast. How could
someone do this? WHY would they do
this? Those are my words, my work, and
my feelings about my craft. But without
my heart, my experiences, and my hands behind them, they are meaningless. And yet, she continues to list more and more
and make sales.
Can't touch this :)
As
creative, small business owners, we do it all.
We are designers, the production, accountant, quality assurance,
shipping department, photographer, and everything else that makes up a
successful business. We pour not just
our time and money into our work, we pour our hearts, passion, and energy into
it. Our work is material reflections of
these things. Sure, you can take the
easy way and short-cut the years of trial and error, research, and hands on
experience, but you get what you put in.
You may make some sales, yay!, but can you sustain a business on someone
else’s model? Can you experience the joy
and fulfillment of knowing that YOU thought of something and worked tirelessly
to make it a reality? Can you feel good
about knowing that what you do is unique and is a product of what makes you
special? I’m guessing no, probably
not. And then so really, what’s the
point?
I work
so hard on my business. Writing doesn’t
come easily to me, and I spend a lot of time searching for just the right words
to describe a piece, or talk about how a piece makes me feel. I endlessly research new techniques, take
classes, compile lists of trusted suppliers, market, update my social media,
network with other artists, photograph my pieces, list them, and haul them back
and forth to shows (a whole other set of unique challenges!).
At a show, working hard for my money....so hard for my money...
When
you short cut and take someone else’s ideas, passion, and stories, you aren’t
just hurting them, you’re hurting the whole business of handmade. No, it’s not the end of the world. And I will continue to do brisk business and
make sales and hopefully forget that plagiarizers and copy cats even
exist. But here’s the thing: handmade, to me, is about paying it
forward. I sell what I put my heart into
and make enough money to keep doing it and support myself, plus some to
reinvest in other handmade businesses.
My love and creativity is passed on through my work, and my dollar is
passed on to another artist or craftsperson so that I can experience their love
and creativity. And the cycle
continues. Plagiarizing and stealing
disrupts that. There’s nothing to pay
forward.
But maybe there is one positive from it; I am so determined
to stay ahead of my copiers now. I have
so many new designs and ideas I’m working on.
This year you will see a lot of new products and even more creative uses
of my extensive sheet music collection.
So, thank you plagiarizers and copy cats, for keeping me on my toes. You can try to keep up with me, but I think
you’ll find without passion and creativity on your side that you won’t have
much luck.
A happy ending, possibly?




8 comments:
Good for you! What a positive way to look at the situation.
I'm sorry that this has happened in the first place, but unfortunately that's what happens on Etsy. All you can do is look forward, be creative and know that your heart & soul has gone into your work.
Wonderful shop, by the way!
Thank you Carol! You are absolutely right about looking forward. Thank you for stopping by!
Ugh! Sorry that happened to you. I've seen some plagiarism of my stuff around too, but not to that extent. Always puzzles me to how people can live without a conscience, such a non esteemable act on that person's behalf.
Well I guess mimicry the highest form of flattery.
She can't steal the beauty of your soul, or creativity Tess.Still I'm bummed that this happened to you.
That makes me so sad to hear, but I highly admire your positive attitude!
Thanks so much for your kind words, Gigi...and I'm sorry to hear you've had to deal with this too!
Thank you Bev!
How frustrating!! The good news is that you have plenty of ideas while this poor person clearly does not.
It reminds me of a post I saw about this same thing going down in the Paper Goods category. If nothing else, this will make you smile...
http://madstationer.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/this-is-whats-fing-wrong-with-etsy/
Good luck! With your attitude you're going to outshine your imposter!
ooh, thank you for the link Kerry! I'm going to check that out right now!
Post a Comment