Yesterday we decided to go to New Bedford, a whaling city about an hour south of us. I hadn't been there since I was little, and I'm doing a big show there next month so it was good to get down there. Plus, the biggest, most overwhelmingly amazing antique center EVER is there.
This antique mall (mega mall? Super store?) is 55,000 square feet of musty goodness. Yes, that number is correct!There was so much to look at we didn't even know where to start. I'm pretty sure there is no way we even saw close to everything. Whenever we go antiquing I have several things on my radar I look for (otherwise I will just buy everything): Victorian fashion prints, cabinet cards and CDVs, sheet music, postcards, and cool original art. The Mister likes to look for pipes for his collection, and those teeny miniature Toby mugs from Occupied Japan. And of course we always drool over the furniture for our imaginary house someday.
The postcards in this place were amazing!! They were totally reasonably priced, and they were EVERYWHERE. I had to restrain myself and only pick out a few, but they will definitely be making an appearance in a new collage sheet in my shop soon. The other area that I scored big in was sheet music. This is dangerous because I can justify it as a business expense, so I tend to go nuts.

The gem of the trip has to be this sheet music, which not only features a picture (and to be honest, not the most flattering one) of Mary Pickford, but is actually ABOUT her. You probably know Mary, if nothing else, from the movie Chaplin. She was a huge star back in the day, and remains iconic today as an emblem of beauty. I can't wait to find something special to do with this one!
In addition to the Mary Pickford song, I found some of the prettiest, most romantic, over the top sheet music I have ever seen in my life on this trip. I am actually giddy thinking about possibilities. One of them is even mermaid themed...meremaids!
As always I would be totally interested if you have any suggestions for what you would like to see!
Are you a treasure hunter? Do you love thrifting, antiquing and flea markets? What are you usually on the hunt for?

6 comments:
Wow ~ 55,000 ft of antique amazingness! My family would not see me for days perhaps weeks, hahahaha! You scored on that lovely sheet music, can't wait to see what loveliness it becomes :) That is super cool that you and your hubs can treasure hunt together! Also, looking forward to hearing more about your job ~ sounds fun!
That place looks amazing!! Congrats on your finds!
Dying to know what your part time job is! Well.. my antique malls are mini compared to that one - I'd LOVE to get to go see it. Are the prices reasonable? I'm always on the look for housewares and decor - hubby likes old toy cars and trucks - and especially service trucks (ie garbage trucks and dump trucks). Lovely blog and post!
that looks so good! wish i could go dig through olde junk with you. c:
That antique mall looks wonderful~!I would enjoy going there too. Good thing you can practice restraint~!
http://haydenbrook.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/haydenbrook
Thanks guys!
Rhett the prices are pretty reasonable, especially on the furniture. Makes it even more dangerous ;)
Cara that would be soooo fun!
Post a Comment